Data Connection Issues
FileData Connection Issues
1. DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT
The purpose of this section of the document is to provide a mechanism for controlling the version releases of this document including appendices where applicable.
1.2. DOCUMENT INFORMATION
Document Name Sage Alchemex Data Connection Issues
Author Name Nicholas Hanafey
Creation Date Friday, 03 August 2012
One of the main functions of the Sage Intelligence software is to connect to a data source(s) and retrieve data; these connections are made through the appropriate ODBC driver(s). Because of this reliance on the ODBC drivers, errors can occur inside the software that are simply errors passed back from the appropriate driver; these can be caused by invalid information provided to the Sage Intelligence software or problems with the driver or database installation. These issues are external to the Sage Intelligence software and need to be resolved at the source.
When issues appear to be data related, it is recommended that you perform the following tests to identify whether they are occurring externally and also to identify where the resolution is needed.
3. IN-PRODUCT CONNECTION TESTING
- Inside the Administrator / Connector module, navigate to the appropriate connection / container.
- Select Check / Test. This will test the connection to the database using the details provided in the properties pane.
- Should you receive an error at this point, the issue is probably occurring at a driver / database level; move onto the ODBC Data Sources steps below to confirm. If no error is received then the problem is not likely to be data related.
4. ODBC DATA SOURCES
Use Windows ODBC Data Sources to test the database connection external to Sage Intelligence.
- Run C:\Windows\system32\odbcad32.exe on a 32 bit machine or C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe on a 64Bit machine and navigate to the System DSN tab.
- Click the Add button
- Select the appropriate driver and follow the wizard to setup a connection to the database. Depending on the driver a Test Connection button may be available during the Wizard, use this to test the connection. If you have error messages at this point then there is some problem with the driver or database which needs to be resolved before using Sage Intelligence.
- Should you receive no errors or are unable to test the connection using this method, move on to the Excel Data Sources steps below.
5. EXCEL DATA SOURCES
Use Excel ODBC Data Sources to test the database connection external to Sage Intelligence.
- Open Excel.
- Select the Data tab,
- Click From Other Sources and then
- Select From Data Connection Wizard
- Select Other/Advanced
- Click Next and follow the wizard to setup a connection to the appropriate database. Depending on the database driver, you may be able to test the connection during the wizard; if not, you can test the connection after navigating through the wizard as follows.
- You will be prompted to Import Data from the connection you just created
- Select OK and the appropriate data will be imported into the specified selection, if this succeeds then there are no problems with database connectivity. If you have error messages at this point then there is some problem with the driver or database which needs to be resolved before using Sage Intelligence.